Sunday, March 11, 2018

Project Quilting 9.5: The Oslo Craft Bag

Project Quilting Challenge Five this year is "A Stitch In Time". This one stumped me a little bit at first. My goal for this season (other than completing all the challenges) is to make projects that I can use on a frequent basis. I wasn't sure how I was going to incorporate this challenge theme into an accessory that I could use a lot.

Then I remembered how my husband bugs me about putting his stuff back (mainly tools) into their correct locations after I borrow things. He hates it when I borrow the screw driver and leave it on the counter instead of putting it back in the tool bag. And rightly so! I get super annoyed when he uses the shipping tape and doesn't put it back in the shipping supplies box (which he does on a regular basis, just so we're clear).

Eventually I came to the conclusion that organization was going to be my focus this week, because it definitely saves time. Nothing drives me crazier than having to hunt for something I know I've got, and I just can't find it!

Oslo Craft Bag

Sara Lawson's Oslo Craft Bag was on my short list of to-sew items, so I knew this was what I had to make this week. This is a free pattern that is available to her newsletter subscribers. All you have to do is sign up on her website, and she'll send it to you automatically. Don't worry: she's not a spammer. She also just came out with the video to go with it last week, which makes it even better if you're a visual learner like me.

Oslo Craft Bag
Oslo Craft Bag

This bag was really fun to put together. I added the rivets on the handles and handle tabs, because rivets are my new favorite thing. I also chose to hand-stitch the binding around the top, because I prefer it in specific cases like this. I love this bag, and I'm so glad I got it done before Modern Stitching Affair in April! It will be great to keep all of my notions and tools organized at the retreat. The bag has a permanent home right next to my sewing table, so it's definitely something I use on a daily basis. The finished size is about 14" x 7.5" x 6.5".

Oslo Craft Bag

2 comments:

  1. Really cute bag! I think it turned out great. I am signing up for her newsletter so I can get the pattern too. I have always wanted to do something like this but have always been nervous to try. Maybe her video will help give me the courage. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super. Personally I think there are few things more satisfying for a sewist to make something themselves that helps them be more organised. Like you it drives me mad when my precious sewing time is disrupted because I can’t find something.

    ReplyDelete