Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sampler Quilt


This was actually the BOM from Craftsy with Amy Gibson.  I joined the class late (in September), so I had a lot of catching up to do.  I wanted to complete the quilt for my Uncle for Christmas.  Well needless to say...I never did quite catch up all the way.  So instead of making a 20-block-quilt like they did in the class...I stopped after 12.  However, I was pretty happy with how it turned out.  This is only my 3rd quilt.  I chose to do the BOM with Craftsy because of the awesome tutorials.  They really hit every different learning style with their classes. They're great.  I learned a bunch of new techniques during the process that I'll surely be using for years.





I ended up doing some stitch-in-the-ditch for most of the blocks.  Then to fill up the 
sashing I just did some free-motion with a couple templates and drew in some of my own stuff.  It was really fun, and I'm definitely becoming addicted to free-motion.  I did it for the first time on my last quilt - just stippling.  I've got a long way to go to be proficient, but I'm enjoying the learning process.






My Grandmother told me to sign and date my quilts, so I made this little embroidery design to use.  It's relatively small.  You can see it on the full picture stuck in there towards the bottom right.  It's kind of neat to think that someday someone in my family might still have this quilt and always know I made it.  I know we've got some old ones kicking around in our family, and I don't know who made them.






2 comments:

  1. Didn't know you had this site. Very nice. Now you'll have your retreat items to add. Gmom Marj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the sampler quilt Trina. I sure wish I would have made mine with a colored solid instead of white. So glad I met you at Sew South!

    ReplyDelete